Friday, July 18, 2014

Buster's New Condo

Buster the Lop Eared Bunny wanted me to share photos of his new two story condo on my blog.  He's so proud of his new place and he has tons of room to move about now, but before we get to the details here's what it looked like straight outta the box.




While overwhelming at first, it turned out to not be as bad as it looked.  It took me forty-two minutes to put it all together with my pink electric drill (duh) and I actually took my time doing it.  Of course this was after I threw a fit when I looked at the instructions and saw they were written in German.  But then after five minutes of pouting, I realized the English version was directly below the German version and breathed a sigh of relief.  Thank goodness no one but Buster was around to witness my blonde moment. 

Here's an after once I assembled it and set everything into place:




I purchased some faux lambs wool, cut it to size, and attached it to the flooring with velcro.  Behind him is a door (with a heart latch, no less) that can be shut if I want to keep him from moving between levels.  To the right is a little doorway where he can cuddle up inside the nook if it gets too cold or scary...you know from the lightning and thunder, or perhaps my singing.


Between the two floors is a tray you can pull out to empty the droppings, but he's actually doing good with his litterbox training so all is well so far!  There's also a ramp with texture on it that he can use to go up and down between levels.  He wanted an elevator but I told him that was a little out of my price range.


Then on the bottom I put an indoor/outdoor rug underneath the hutch just in case he has any unexpected accidents. 

I've found over the years the best litter for any animal is one of those bags of wood pellets that are supposed to be used to fuel wood burning fireplaces.  You can buy a huge 40 lb. bag of them at any home improvement store for under $5 or you can buy a 20 lb. bag with a picture of a cat on it for $10.99 at your local animal supply store, the choice is yours.  I love the wood pellets because they are natural and ecofriendly.  I've used them for years and have never found any other litter, natural or otherwise, that comes close to absorbing as well as they do.


Here's the overview of the front porch with the added rabbit hutch and a ginormous 20 lb. bag of rabbit food that I still need to take out to my animal house to store.  I feel the color helps it blend in a little better as if it's a piece of furniture rather than an in-yo-face animal pen.

Buster just loves his new space and every evening I let him out to play on the front porch.  Some times when I check on him he will be laying next to the chaise lounge and sometimes he will be eating in his new kitchen.  Other times he's taking a little siesta on the second floor even during play time!  The insanity!  But at least I know he likes his new home. 

The new hutch is just as wide as his old cage but since it has an additional story it seems so huge now and I like that he's able to crawl into his little hideaway if he needs to.  Prior to his new condo there was a bad storm and I was the crazy rabbit lady who woke up at 3 am to check on him and make sure he was alright and not getting wet or scared.  Although now that I think of it seeing me in my pjs that early in the morning would scare anyone so I don't think I did him any favors.  Now at least I can sleep easy no matter what weather situation we have!


A Little Bit of Randomness:
  • I decided to add a segment called "A Little Bit of Randomness" at the end of all my future blogs so that you can catch up on what I've been doing, thinking, or feeling since my last blog.  I don't have a ton of extra social media time so this will be a good way to get caught up on what I'm doing.
  • Did you know that rabbits don't vomit? The only reason I know this is because there was some thick yellow fluid in the bottom of Buster's last cage which made me panic because I thought he was dying.  Then after Googling it I realized it was his urine.  Did you also know rabbit urine can be red tinged as well?  Who would have thunk it? 
  • The flip house is coming along well.  I haven't posted any blog posts because we've had electricians in over the last few weeks.  I didn't think it would be very fun to take a bunch of pictures of wires and share them with you guys.  You're welcome.
  • I bought a deep freezer for my basement the other day and I was so excited I couldn't hardly contain myself.  Then I was actually thrilled to go to the grocery store to stock it.  Is that weird? 
  • Last Saturday I went to my cousin Katie's bridal shower and won a game because I had the most items in my purse.  Hurray for back problems in my future!  At least I have Aleve (in my purse) to make it feel better.
  • Buster is starting to get used to me.  He comes up to me now (willingly) and nudges at my feet.  I think it's because I give him food every day so lets not sugar coat what the relationship really is.




No comments:

Post a Comment