Thursday, August 1, 2013

How To Update An Old Dresser

When I was a little girl I would go over to my Great Grandma Rickgauer's house and admire a dresser she had tucked away in one of her spare rooms.  Even at my young age I admired its clean modern lines and felt it was an unexpected piece of furniture for any grandma to have.  When she passed away no one seemed to take interest in it and I requested to have her old dresser. 

This dresser followed me from my bedroom at home to my apartment in college.  When I purchased my first house (660 square feet) I soon realized it could no longer live with me and it ended up with my stepsister who painted it black and used it as a buffet in the dining room of her house.  When I would visit her I would admire the old dresser I always loved and I was thrilled the day she moved again and asked if I wanted it back.  Of course I said "yes, yes, yes!" because by then I had a larger home.  The dresser remained black and sat in my kitchen as a buffet and I got a ton of use out of it for this purpose.  When I moved into the house I have now I still felt I would get more use out of it as a buffet rather than a dresser, however I did make a major change and painted it white to keep in theme with the Cape Cod style of my house. 

I placed it in an unused space in between my living room and the kitchen, right next to my pet bird Gizmo.  In it is where I store not only his cage cover and toys but also extra things like kitchen towels, tablecloths, etc...  Years ago I had updated the drawer pulls and purchased shiny chrome ones, however the hardware in my current home is satin nickel and they just didn't fit in.  I thought about buying new satin nickel pulls but I couldn't stand the thought of discarding nice heavy hardware just because I didn't like the finish of them.  So I set to work and grabbed some leftover spray paint from my basement that I used when I painted my kitchen table and chairs and I headed outside with my new project.   



Can you see me in the glossy chrome of the drawer pulls?  I grabbed some sandpaper I had on hand and sanded them just enough to "de-gloss" them so they were no longer shiny.  During this process the mosquitoes just would not stop biting me (it's a huge problem at my house that's about to be fixed in the next few days so I will keep you updated) but nevertheless I proceeded.  I painted the knobs with Rustoleum Painter's Touch in the color Aqua after I got them all deglossified (note to Webster's Dictionary: feel free to add that word along with it's description below to your next updated edition).

de·glos·si·fied

[dee-glas-uh-fahyed]   
verb (used with object),  
to remove the gloss from a surface while simultaneously slapping away biting mosquitoes. 

Origin: 
2013 by author and blogger Liz Hale


de·gloss, verb 
All it took was two coats to cover them completely and I applied these coats within 20 minutes of each other and let it dry for 24 hours to fully set.
I love spray painting the grass blue because someone will eventually ask you why your grass is blue and then you can make up a story that sounds like you live a wild and adventurous life.  My story will involve a squirrel, a ham sandwich, and the can of paint in question.  Not sure how I'm going to tie the three together but I will think of something.  
At any rate here's a before picture of my buffet sitting naked with no drawer pulls. 
And here's his jazzy new look:
I love the bright pop of color and I love how the photo above makes me look like I'm standing 6 feet tall.  I'm not sure what's up with that, maybe I was wearing wedges when I took this photo.
Here's a wide shot of it:
I just love how the blue ties in with the table in the breakfast nook. 

So here's a break down:

Cost:
Zero dineros because I already had the paint and sand paper

Time it took me away from watching Real Housewives of Orange County:
15 minutes

And yes if you can't tell there is missing trim along the floor in the breakfast nook and the floor trim in the living room still needs painted.  Don't fear though, it's on my to do list!




No comments:

Post a Comment