Thursday, February 13, 2014

Skincare Products Empties and Reviews


Below is part two of my products empties.  If you've missed part one, which covers my empty bath and body products, then click here.  Otherwise, read on to find out what I think about the skincare products I've recently used up!





Ole Henriksen Walnut Complexion Scrub 1 oz. $16.00

I purchased this item off Ebay some time ago and it is a deluxe sample size.  The normal size is 1.7 oz and retails for $24.00.  This had plenty of product in it to last me several months as I generally use a mechanical exfoliator once per week.  It is also nice to travel with since it is a smaller size, however be careful as the container is made of glass and as you can see the lid on mine broke one day after I accidently dropped it in my marble bathroom sink.

As far as the product itself goes, it reminds me very much of St. Ives Apricot Scrub.  The texture of the exfoliators is the same, however the base formulation on the Ole one is much nicer.  It cleanses off easier and has a really nice smell.  It just seems more luxurious and at three times the price, it should. 

This scrub can be found at your local Sephora in the full size.  If you are wishing to try to deluxe size you can buy it directly from the Ole Henriksen website or do like I did and check out Ebay.  It is paraben, sulfate, and phthalate free.  They are also a cruelty free company.

Would I repurchase?  Yes  Will I repurchase?  Probably not as there are cheaper scrubs out there that I like just as much if not more.



Acure Oil Control Facial Moisturizer 1.75 oz. $15.99

I believe I also purchased this item off Ebay especially since the normal size as sold on Vitacost.com is 1.7 oz and this is just 1 oz. but I honestly can't remember. According to the package this is a very lightweight moisturizer that's good for combo to oily/acne prone skin and I would agree.  This is my go-to moisturizer in the summer but for the winter it's not quite enough moisture for me and I find myself mixing it with my Reviva Labs InterCell Hyaluronic Acid Night Gel (read on for more info on this) to give my skin just a little more oomph.

This is just a really nice basic moisturizer that contains a lot of good-for-you ingredients.  Do they work?  Well, I'm not sure but they definitely couldn't hurt and the price is decent if you compare it to a department store moisturizer. 

This product is free from sulfates, cruelty, parabens, gluten, PEG, petroleum, phthalates, and silicone.  It also contains Fair Trade Certified Ingredients.

Would I repurchase?  Yes  Will I repurchase?  Probably but there are a few more moisturizers I need to try out and review before I repurchase.


Jason Quick Clean Pure Natural Makeup Remover 75 Pads $5.89

The packaging I have differs from that pictured on the Vitacost.com website.  However I remember they had the same photo posted when I purchased this a few months ago so I'm not sure if I received the old packaging or new packaging.  Regardless, this was just okay for me.  Mostly when I remove makeup I'm focused on eye makeup removal but these pads sting my eye area just slightly, however it's enough for me to be happy when I realized I had used up all the pads.  Right now I'm not using any makeup remover, I'm just washing my face two times to make sure I get all my makeup off and so far it's working out for me pretty nicely.  I've been enjoying having one fewer product in my skincare regime so I don't plan on searching for another makeup remover to replace this any time soon.

Also to note I was able to easily peel the sticker off this container just now which makes me very happy because I can clean, sanitize, and repurpose this for something else.  It's just a nice white tub that I'm sure I can find a good use for somewhere around the house.

This product is fragrance, paraben, sls, and phthalate free and they are leaping bunny certified which means they do not test their products on animals.

Would I repurchase?  No 



Paula's Choice Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment with 10% AHA 2 oz $30.00

This was purchased off the Paula's Choice website literally years ago.  Even though the cost is $30 it has lasted me forever so although initially I was hesitant to plunk down that much money, I feel in the long run it was worth it. 

Alpha hydroxy acid is a chemical exfoliant that basically dissolves the "glue" that binds dead skin cells together so they can slough off the skin.  That is as long as the PH of the product is at the right level to allow for exfoliation.  A lot of drugstore (and some high end) products that claim to contain AHAs don't have the right PH in their product which means basically it's useless as your skin won't be able to exfoliate.  This is a good product that truly does exfoliate.  I use an AHA every other day and a mechanical exfoliator one day per week.  This keeps my skin looking its very best and keeps dead skin from sitting on top and clogging my pores.

This is a toner type product so after I cleanse I apply this and just let it sit while I brush my teeth and get ready for bed.  Right before bed I will top my skin with a moisturizer (the Reviva Labs and Acure mixed together 50/50).

This product is fragrance free and Paula's Choice does not test their products on animals.

Would I repurchase?  Yes  Will I repurchase?  Probably but I'm trying out another AHA product at the moment.


 
Reviva Labs InterCell Night Gel with Hyaluronic Acid 1.25 oz $7.89

I purchased this off Vitacost.com and it's been a lovely moisturizer for me.  During the winter I've had good luck mixing it with my Acure Oil Control Facial Moisturizer (above) for some heavy duty moisturization and my skin has been in really good shape.  If you live in more humid areas or during summer months you can probably get by with just this alone. 

Hyaluronic Acid holds 1,000 times its weight in water so it's the perfect ingredient to use on your skin to add moisture back into it.  And best of all, it's naturally occurring in skin but as people get older the amount contained naturally decreases so it's important to put it back in!  It's a clear gel that looks much like a clear aloe very gel that you can buy at the drugstore, and it has the same consistency.  Just like the Jason Naturals tub I was able to easily peel the sticker off so yay for repurposing! 

This item is paraben free and free of animal ingredients and animal testing.

Would I repurchase?  Yes  Will I repurchase?  Absolutely!  This is a staple for me!

I will try to get my part three of this series up by the end of the week.  The next part will focus on makeup empties.  With all the makeup I own it's hard to actually use up an item completely but I'm working on buying less and using what I have.  That's my motto for 2014 anyway!


No comments:

Post a Comment