Monday, February 3, 2014

How To Get Control of Your DVDs, CDs, and Video Games

I love television sitcoms so when Christmas rolls around and I'm asked what I want, a new season of my latest favorite show is always a safe bet.  The problem is, these "season" shows can be big and bulky to store.  Previously some of my sitcom discs were housed individually in a regular sized DVD case.  Over time the distributors got smarter and started packaging them with multi discs in each case.  Nonetheless, all these DVDs and their packaging were taking up valuable real estate on my bookcase, not to mention the fact that they don't look fashionable!

So I took my stack of DVDs (left) and made them look like this (right):


But then Christmas came and went and I received more DVDs that wouldn't fit in the basket.  So I went through the house and collected two fabric media bins I wasn't using (I purchased them from Target four or five months ago at 70% off) and re-organized and labeled my DVDs.  Now they look like this:


Yes, that's SpongeBob.  I'm a big kid, what can I say?  Crazy to think all those DVD cases and then some could easily fit in two small bins with plenty of room to grow.  The white sleeves holding the DVDs are from Memorex and they are super cheap.  I purchased mine at Target but you can get 100 sleeves for under $6 pretty much anywhere.  Below is what they look like in the original packaging.


I labeled the DVDs with a Post It Tabs and used my label maker to indicate the show name on each tab.  I just labeled them by show but if you are really ambitious you can label them by season or even disc.  This can also be done with regular DVDs, CDs, or even video games.  For now I've just stuck with my television shows as that was the area that was most out of control for me and it has greatly cut down on the clutter on my built in bookcase in the living room.


Because I'm crazy I stored all my empty DVD cases in a plastic tote in the attic of my garage.  Yup, they are just hanging out.  Hopefully one day when I move I don't forget they are up there!  Long story short, it doesn't take a lot of time and money to get organized and free up valuable space in your home!



No comments:

Post a Comment