Monday, November 11, 2013

Lighted Cabinet Update

Remember a while back when I shared my lighted cabinet purchase with you?  If not you can read about it here.  Well, it's finally time for the grand unveiling as far as what it looks like now and what I chose to do with it!  If you don't remember, here's what it looked like before as it sat in the antique store.


Once I got it safely home I began working on it.  I started by taking the bottom doors off of it and sanding it down to prepare it for spray paint.


Yup, that's me in the glass reflection sporting my best painting clothes and standing in front of a humongous pile of dirt.  I swear, the projects never stop around here!  Anyway, from the photos you can see there were plastic trim pieces around each door that I felt dated the piece, so I took a screw driver and very carefully pried each trim piece off and filled in the holes with putty where the nails were.


Then I had to go in and tape off both front and back pieces of glass so I could paint like a maniac and not have to worry about getting it on my glass doors.  This was probably the most time consuming part of the whole project.


I then painted it top to bottom with my favorite paint in the whole entire world.  Rustoleum Universal Satin in White.


And this is where I fail as a blogger.  I didn't take photos of the cabinet before I moved it in the house but you are just going to have to make do with this shot of it.  Can you guess where I put it?



Those who know me probably guessed right!  In my closet of course, to store and display my handbag collection!  Okay, so don't criticize me too much as there are a couple of reasons I've justified this as being okay.  Reason #1 I'm not a fan of dust bags.  I want to see my bags but when I display them on open shelves they get horribly dusty.  And #2 it limits the amounts of handbags I can own.  In fact, I downsized my collection and sold a few on Ebay after purchasing this cabinet which not only helped me pay for this project but it also helps me look a little less Real Housewives of Beverly Hills if you know what I mean.


I still have to swap out the door pulls for something a little better than the original knobs but for now I'm really feeling it!




I just love how much more updated the bottom doors look without that trim on them.  And I'm loving the additional storage space I can utilize underneath my purses!  I even store my clutches in here in between two Fleur de Lys bookends.  I love it and if I ever get my priorities in line I can always use it as a china hutch down the road as it has a built in drawer on the left hand side behind the door to hold flatware.  Ooohhh, maybe I can display my watches in there!






No comments:

Post a Comment